Here is Everything You Need to Know about Vegan Diet
So, 2019 is almost approaching and this means that you must start thinking about your New Year’s resolution. From losing weight to low cancer risk, there are many reasons for you to go vegan in the forthcoming year. Did you know that the vegan diet has become more popular than ever in the last couple of decades?
You must be wondering why become vegan and not vegetarian? What kind of foods vegan diet contains? What are the benefits and side-effects of this diet? Let’s find the answers to all your questions.
What is a Vegan Diet?
A vegan diet is all about excluding the use or consumption of animal products. The diet is devoid of all animal products such as eggs, dairy, and meat. This means that there is only a consumption of plant-based products. Given that animal products are considered great sources of vitamins, proteins, non-saturated fats, and other minerals, it is imperative for the vegan to find alternative sources of these nutrients.
The difference between a vegan and vegetarian diet is that there is no consumption of any animal product in a vegan diet; however, a vegetarian diet allows consumption of dairy products and eggs but not animal meat.
Vegan Food List
There are no animal foods in a vegan diet and following a plant-based diet can increase the chances of nutrient deficiencies. That’s why it is important for you to consume a nutrient-rich vegan diet that comprises whole and fortified foods. Here are foods that your vegan diet must contain:
- Legumes (lentils, beans, peas)
- Hemp, flax, and Chia seeds
- Nuts, nut butter, and seeds
- Whole grains, cereals, and pseudocereals
- Fruits and vegetables (leafy greens such as spinach, bok choy, watercress, kale etc.)
- Tofu and tempeh
- Dried fruits
- Sprouted and fermented plant foods (misso, natto, pickles, sauerkraut, and kimchi)
Benefits of Vegan Diet
– Helps in Losing Excess WeightThis is one of the lucrative benefits of becoming a vegan that is making people turn to plant-based diets. According to some observational studies, vegans tend to have lower body mass indexes (BMIs) as compared to non-vegans.There are some randomized controlled studies that suggest that vegan diets are really effective in a weight loss journey of a person.
– Helps in Lowering Blood Sugar LevelsA vegan diet is highly recommended to people with type 2 diabetes. According to research, vegans tend to have higher insulin sensitivity, lower blood sugar levels, and even lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
– Enhances Kidney FunctionThere are studies that indicate the effectiveness of a vegan diet in improving kidney function. According to the studies, diabetics who consume plant-based protein over meat may decrease the risk of poor kidney functions.
– Reduces Risk of Certain CancersDid you know the World Health Organization (WHO) report says that the risk of about one-third of all cancers can be reduced with control of certain factors, including your diet? Vegans consume more legumes, nuts, fruits, and vegetables than non-vegans and that’s why some studies have shown that vegans have a lower risk of developing cancer.
– Lowers Risk of Heart DiseaseAn increasing number of people are turning to vegan diets because of their effectiveness in lowering risk of heart disease. Given that there is more consumption of vegetables, fruits, fiber, and legumes, the cholesterol level in the body remains controlled and there is a lower risk of heart disease in a vegan.
Side Effects of Vegan Diet
When you become a vegan, here are some side effects that you may experience:
- Lower energy levels
- Digestive problems
- Anemia (iron deficiency)
- Huge cravings (can cause weight gain)
Become a Vegan by Starting Off On the Right Foot
If you want to start your vegan diet, it is best to use the services of experienced and knowledgeable people in the field. That being said, here are the top 4 meal delivery services that can help you in starting your vegan diet
It is important to mention here that all these meal delivery services are among the best in the field. All you have to do is to choose your meal plan and they will deliver the organic vegan ingredients right at your doorstep at the time of your choosing. They also offer easy-to-follow recipes for busy individuals to ensure they enjoy their vegan meals without going through much hassle.